Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So many events, and you're invited!


There are so many wonderful fashion events coming up in September, I hope I see you at at least one of them!

Thursday, September 8: Fashion's Night Out
This annual shopping event has grown to encompass many stores in many cities in just three years. My advice is to wear something that makes you feel good, bring a positive, easygoing attitude, and be ready to shop. The point of this event is (supposed to be) to get shoppers in the stores, so you can score some good deals or extra goodies, or both. I'm philosophically opposed to the FNO parties which include a cover charge, which I'm seeing quite a bit in DC this year - if the party aspect has surpassed the shopping aspect, that retailer has lost sight of what Fashion's Night Out is all about.

In DC, the locus of events is in Georgetown, but there are events happening on U Street and elsewhere as well. If you're wondering where I'll be, I hope you're following me on twitter where I will post the Style of Politics schedule.

In New York, there is a truly dizzying schedule of events, both large and small. In my experience, the small ones are the best - sometimes you even get to chat with the actual designer or founder of the stores. I also want to clue you in to a special "FNO pre-game" event from 4-7pm at New York Vintage. Stop by for a drinks, cupcakes, and a raffle, and tell Megan that I sent you.

Tuesday, September 13: Missoni for Target
People are seriously salivating over this latest designer-discount collaboration. It's not the easiest stuff to wear, but the low price point lowers the risk, too, so start scoping out your favorites. The full collection will be available online at midnight (plus a few exclusives), but going to the store is half the fun. To that end, I'm planning a jaunt to the Columbia Heights store when it opens at 8:00am. Anyone looking for a little free shopping advice or just something fun to do before work is welcome to come along - just email me to let me know you're coming. Yes, it's early. Just have some coffee and think zig zag.

Friday, September 16: Tie one on
Image by Leigh Viner
This is a Style of Politics exclusive in New York. Bring your favorite scarf for a free informal lesson over drinks and fashion magazines. Not into scarves? Just bring your burning fashion questions, or your strongest opinions of the new collections. For more details and to RSVP, please go to the event page. There should be some surprise goodies to take home, too.

2 comments:

  1. Did you change the color of the site? I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't but you got me thinking about that recently!

    ReplyDelete