Wednesday, October 6, 2010

O'Donnell says "I'm you." Would you steal Gillibrand's outfit?

By now you've probably seen Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell's latest television ad, where she tells the viewer, "I'm you." But if you haven't, here it is:

She's wearing a black suit, pearls, and soft pink makeup. Since "you" could be a lot of people, I'm not sure whether I'd recommend this look for "you," but for her, it's not bad.

But it is different. This isn't just a departure from her usual look. This look has all the hallmarks of someone else's usual look: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. Not sure? See for yourself:
So the question is, was this deliberate? And if so, why? These two women couldn't be further apart politically. But this isn't the first time we have wondered whether O'Donnell has taken more than just inspiration from the looks of other politicians - people just can't stop talking about her resemblance to Sarah Palin. She seems to be casting about for a style role model among the candidates who have come before her. I'm not sure that it's working for her though. As you know, I recommend that you dress like yourself, not someone else.

1 comment:

  1. I vote (pun intended) for a deliberate attempt to reach a certain demographic so they will "relate" to her. This look says professional business woman/boardroom to me.

    She looks sensible and intelligent.

    At least she is dressed that way, I should say.

    ReplyDelete