Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Grayson and Bachmann on Larry King Live: Applegate and Glinda debate healthcare?

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know that I am prone to neither hyperbole or sarcasm in this forum.

However.

Did you see Larry King Live last week, when Reps. Michele Bachmann and Alan Grayson discussed the health care debate? Watch:
Maybe they don't remind you of anything. But I used to be a theatrical costume designer, and I was struck by two very strong visual references for these two characters. Congressman Grayson's black, shiny pinstripe suit, white shirt, bright red tie and
red pocket square folded into points reminded me so strongly of Mr. Applegate from Damn Yankees, I actually had to double check the YouTube address and make sure this clip wasn't some kind of parody. If you're not familiar with the musical, Mr. Applegate is the devil in a sharp suit.

And once my mind went there, well, all hope for serious thought was lost. All I
could think of when I saw Congresswoman Bachmann's soft pink sweater, pearls and flip hairdo was Glinda, the Good Witch of the North from the Wizard of Oz.

Please understand that this is not a political commentary at all, but hopefully a bit of a cautionary tale. Sometimes our clothes can make references, connections or images that we don't intend and might not even be familiar with. Either of these outfits might not have been terribly remarkable on their own, but when juxtaposed next to each other in the classic Larry King split screen, a story was born.

Be careful out there, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment